Michael D. Kelley
Seeking full-time employment in communications and public relations and the opportunity to utilize my writing experience.
Four consecutive summers of internships with professional sports organizations, most recently two straight with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Experience writing and reporting for two professional sports franchises – the Steelers and the New York Islanders – and as sports editor of my college newspaper.
- Communications, Brett Fischer Sports Consulting, LLC, Westfield, NJ
October – present
- Public Relations Game Day Staff, New York Giants, East Rutherford, NJ
November – present
- Pinterest Page Manager, Pittsburgh Steelers
August – present
- Editor, The Rho News – DKE Fraternity Alumni Newsletter
August – present
- Lafayette College, Easton, PA – Bachelor of Arts: Economics Major and Psychology Minor
Graduated May 2014
RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE
Social Media Internship, Pittsburgh Steelers, Pittsburgh, PA
July – August, 2014
July – August, 2013
- Completed a second training camp internship with expanded writing responsibilities.
- Contributed original training camp content for the Steelers website. One of my articles: http://bit.ly/1rTdlGt
- Point person for the newly designed social media tent, which is now featured at game days due to its success at training camp.
- Managed the Steelers’ Pinterest page. Posted and captioned photos during practices and games to interact with the vast fan base.
Communications Internship, Brett Fischer Sports Consulting, LLC, Westfield, NJ
June – July 2013
- Initiated and developed social media strategy on Facebook and Twitter and updated both daily.
- Drafted and finalized the press release for the company’s launch; sent to 2200 contacts nationwide.
Rotational and Communications Internship, New York Islanders, Long Island, NY
- Gained experience in Group Sales, Ticket Operations, and Merchandise, but primarily worked with the communications staff.
- Interviewed players, coaches, and front office staff members, including general manager Garth Snow, to provide original content for the Islanders website. One of my articles: http://bit.ly/1rHjVQW
Operations and Marketing Internship, InsideOut Sports and Entertainment, New York, NY
- Sports and entertainment business co-founded by Hall of Fame tennis player Jim Courier, which develops and produces proprietary sporting events globally.
- Worked closely with the staff to coordinate event preparation for the Champions Series Tennis Tour.
- Initiated and developed InsideOut’s social media strategy on three fora: Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube.
LEADERSHIP, OUTREACH & SKILLS
Sports Editor, The Lafayette Student Newspaper, Easton, PA
January 2012 – May 2014
- Sports writer for four years at Lafayette. Selected as editor during my sophomore year.
- Led a 12-student team to produce a weekly sports section. Wrote 2-3 articles per week.
- Implemented three new columns into the section, including ‘Mike’d UP’, a candid perspective on contemporary sports issues.
- Primary beat writer for the men’s basketball and football teams since 2010 and 2012, respectively.
President, Delta Kappa Epsilon, Easton, PA
November 2012 – November 2013
- Led a 62-member chapter, the highest in chapter history; coordinating and assuming liability for all fraternity events.
- Met with campus administration frequently, including the President of the College, Alison Byerly.
- Guided the DKE Lafayette chapter to a runner-up finish for the Lion Trophy award, the crown jewel of DKE awards given to the strongest overall chapter in North America. This was the Lafayette chapter’s highest finish in its 158-year history.
Captain, Cross Country, Winter Track & Spring Track Teams, Westfield, NJ
August 2009 – May 2010
- One of only four students in the past ten years to be elected a three-season captain.
- Led two 100-person teams to our first state championship in 13 years (cross-country) and our first county relay championship in 25 years (winter track).