Looking for my best articles? Please check out each publication header and the links below.
The biggest game of their lives – For undrafted free agents Howard Jones and Josh Mauro, the Steelers-Giants preseason opener was their Super Bowl.
The show before the show – My scene setting piece for the annual Steelers’ night practice at Latrobe Memorial Stadium.
The Steeline is making noise at training camp – The Pittsburgh Steeline is the official drumline of the Steelers.
Hoke back at Steelers’ camp – Former Steelers defensive lineman Chris Hoke returned to training camp last summer as a coaching intern. I spoke with Hoke about his role and return to the organization.
Steelers Social Tent keeps fans connected – New to training camp last summer was the Steelers Social Tent. The tent is equipped with iPads and allows fans to ‘Like’ and ‘Follow’ the Steelers on Facebook and Twitter as well as sign up for their email blast. My article detailed this new addition.
Wired In – New technology allowed Islanders players who live overseas to better communicate with their coaches throughout the offseason. I spoke with the head strength and conditioning coach and detailed this technology and its benefits.
de Haan working for full-time roster spot – I spoke with then 21-year old Calvin de Haan about his journey to the NHL and the importance of prospect camp.
Draft Day Mania – I spoke with recent No. 1 Islanders draft picks to hear of their experiences on the life changing event that is draft day.
State of the Union: Islanders Style – General Manager Garth Snow addressed Islanders’ season ticket holders at an event in the offseason. I spoke with him and what he hoped to accomplish in the address.
Damaged Futures: Research finds student athletes are at greater risk for long-term health issues – Indiana University published research that found former elite student athletes are at greater risk for long-health effects. I investigated whether or not this research applied to Lafayette College by interviewing former and current athletes, coaches, and college administrators. I found that it indeed does apply to the college, but that the college admitted there is significant room for improvement.
Surging rugby to “try” nationals – The Lafayette rugby team achieved history when it made it to nationals. My story on their success and anecdotes from their run to glory.
Crossing the fine line: Coaching tactics slipping into alleged abuse – College coaches are now under immense scrutiny for their intense behavior that could be classified as abuse. I explored recent examples of this and spoke with Lafayette coaches and players to examine the matter deeper.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? The story of Walt Yost – Many may not know it, but there is a supervisor that oversees the other officials throughout each game. I introduced myself to this supervisor and sat down with him to explore his job and what certain aspects he grades throughout Lafayette basketball home games.
From underdogs to contenders – I spoke over the phone with Tampa Bay Rays manager and Lafayette alumnus Joe Maddon. We discussed his leadership qualities and the emphasis he places on listening in building relationships.
Johnson enjoying strong end to his Lafayette career – Lafayette star point guard Tony Johnson ’13 had a phenomenal finish to his collegiate career, leading the Leopards to six straight victories en route to an appearance in the Patriot League championship game.
Lafayette travels down to third-ranked Kentucky – The Leopards visited the famous Rupp Arena to play the Wildcats in the 2012-2013 season. Kentucky had its national championship celebration just prior to tipoff, adding even more excitement and intensity to an already electric crowd.
- Tavani recovering from heart procedure
- That’s a wrap
- The unanticipated cost: Indiana University study finds elite college athletes suffer lingering health effects later in life
- National Signing Day
- Tavani receives extension
- A change in culture: Lafayette Football 2013 and its senior class leaves lasting mark on program
- At long last…Lafayette defeats Lehigh in ‘The Rivalry’
- Lafayette-Lehigh 1st Half Report
- Lafayette downs Fordham… Lehigh next
- For all the marbles
- Lafayette defeats No. 4 ranked Fordham
- No trophy…yet
- A tale of two halves… comeback falls short on final drive
- Lafayette-Colgate 1st Half Report
- Is this the year? Lafayette football one win away from first league title since 2006
- On Lafayette Football: Week 6 Notebook
- On Lafayette football: Homecoming Notebook
- Football notebook: Will history repeat itself?
- Four Lehigh football players suspended
- Not even close
- Lafayette suffers heartbreaker to open season
- Lafayette football: End the losing?
- Former Lehigh wide receiver signs with Jets
- On Lafayette Football: Preseason Notebook
- Game #7: Lafayette vs. Holy Cross
- Colvin shreds Lafayette defense in 38-21 rout
- The Rivalry
- Game #10: Lafayette vs. Fordham
- Lafayette falls to Georgetown in turnover-filled game
- Game #8: Lafayette vs. Georgetown
- Lafayette routs Holy Cross 30-13 on Homecoming
- Proud of our Pards: Jared Roberts ’15
- Lafayette football ends two game skid with 20-10 win at Yale
- Princeton runs over Lafayette in 35-14 victory
- Comeback falls short in first loss of season
- Game #5: Lafayette vs. Princeton University
- Game #4: Lafayette vs. Robert Morris University
- Lafayette tames Bison in Patriot League opener
- Game #3: Lafayette vs. Bucknell
- Lafayette writes off Penn in home opener
- Shoop suspended for tonight’s game against Penn
- Football wins big in Williamsburg
- Game #2 vs. University of Pennsylvania
- Fear the underdog: Game #1 vs. William and Mary
- Lafayette football training camp: No days off
- Waiting for the phone to ring
- NFL prospects in the Lehigh Valley
- Faculty responses to football scholarships
- Rumor has it: Outside destination to host 150th Lafayette-Lehigh game: Yankee Stadium?
- Football scholarships endorsed in Patriot League
- Postponing graduation to chase NFL dreams
- Football signs 30 new student athletes
- Student-athlete, Student-artist
- Future bright for men’s basketball: Lafayette looks to next year with roster intact
- Boston massacre: Men’s basketball finishes 11-20 after quarterfinals loss
- One wild ride: 2013-14 season has been full of ups and downs
- Up next? Lafayette continues hot streak as conference tournament awaits
- No doubt about it… Lafayette defeats American in convincing fashion
- Loyola domination
- Monkey off the back
- When will it end? League woes continue for men’s basketball
- Disappointment fading: Two straight wins provide boost
- Close, but no cigar: Comeback falls short in overtime as men’s basketball drops to 0-3
- Nucleus in place
- Second half lead slips away in home opener
- Tough outs: Men’s basketball losses not indicative of team play
- Freshman phenom: Reed has more touchdown passes than incompletions so far
- Who will it be?
- Basketball season underway: team welcomes four freshman
- Second half surge propels comeback
- Lafayette survives second half scare, holds on for win
- Mission Impossible: Dethroning the Champs
- Trist’s big night leads Lafayette in OT thriller
- Season 2012-2013 Preview
- Men’s basketball picked fourth in preseason poll
- Basketball team welcomes five
- Assistant coach becomes a Scarlet Knight
- Star point guard enters NBA Draft
- Postseason wins bring spotlight to Patriot League
- The most memorable moment
- Leopards crusade past Holy Cross, move on to semifinals
- Reaching the Peak
- Coach O’ gets the record
- Big win over Big Ten opponent
- Learning on the fly
- Tigers pounce on Pards
- Missing the point guard
- Around the League
- Freshmen filling in for undermanned Leopards
- A fresh start
- Men’s Basketball preparing to pick up the pace
- Lafayette Sports – New Year’s Day Update
- Volleyball coach arrested on DUI charge
- League woes continue: Lafayette hopes to turn its season around starting tonight against Navy
- Leopard Invitational
- The Thirteen draft: Revisions announced, reactions ensue
- Revisions to policy expected
- On Lafayette Football: Week Three Notebook
- Athletes react to harsh new sanctions
- New Financial Aid Director Announced
- Jimmy Carter speaks at Lafayette
- ‘Human spirit’ is ’cause for optimism’
- Kamine to be wellness in fall
- Meyer takes over: New Director of Student Development to enhance probation program
- From the classroom to the dorm: Lafayette 360
- Bucknell inflates SAT scores
- Alison R. Byerly elected 17th president of Lafayette
- Patriot League Champions
- Women’s Squad Keeps Streak Going Against American
- Patriot League Champions
- The reasons behind conference realignments
- An unfortunate surprise
- Patriot League welcomes two new members
- A day of comebacks ends in overtime
- Indoor season comes to a close
- Tae Kwon Do Club kicking competition